Elective and emergency hospital admissions
All elective inpatient admissions require prior authorization. Contact Review Services for preauthorization.
For more information about preauthorization requirements, see Referrals and clinical review.
Emergency hospital admissions
Emergency admissions may be admitted without prior authorization if the patient is medically unstable. Please notify us of the patient’s admission as soon as possible using one of the following four options:
- 24/7 Hospital Admit Notification Voicemail Line: 1-888-457-9516
- Fax: 206-630-3418
- Online submission: Inpatient Admission Notification Form
- Call Emergency Patient Resources & Options (EPRO) at 1-800-337-3197 (24/7 access) to get immediate assistance with:
- Access to a patient's Kaiser Permanente medical records.
- Reviewing nationally accepted hospital admission criteria.
- Communicating with patients and families to explain medical necessity.
- Obtaining and coordinating non-hospital services, such as home care, home infusion, or assistance with placing a patient in a skilled nursing facility. Custodial placement is not a covered service under most health plans.
- Support to transfer patients to other facilities for continuity of care or higher level of care.