Tobacco cessation programs
Most members interested in quitting tobacco may participate in the Quit For Life Program® at no cost. No physician referral is necessary, however physicians can use an Epic e-referral to request outreach on the member's behalf. Members can register by calling 1-800-462-5327 or online at the Quit For Life website.
The Quit For Life Program offers support for smokers (pipe, cigar, cigarette, and e-cigarette) and spit or chewing tobacco users. The program provides telephone-based individual counseling and is available statewide.
Members enrolled in the Quit For Life Program receive screening and information regarding medications to support them in quitting tobacco. Medications are available through the member's pharmacy coverage. Covered medications* include nicotine replacement therapy (NRT), such as patches, gum, lozenges; bupropion; or varenicline.
Some plans may include a copayment waiver for members enrolled in the program who obtain medication from our mail-order pharmacy. Please verify coverage with the Provider Assistance Unit or Member Services to assist the member in choosing a pharmacy.
Over the counter nicotine replacement therapy such as patches, gum, and lozenges are not covered by Medicare.
This telephone-based program provides one-on-one, personalized intervention scheduled according to the member's needs and convenience. Members receive:
- Access to Web Coach®, an interactive Web tool that allows them to stay connected to their goal of quitting tobacco 24 hours a day.
- Five proactive phone calls from a trained Quit Coach scheduled at the member's convenience. Services available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (with the exception of certain holidays).
- Mobile app available for download on compatible devices.
- Comprehensive quit guides to support them in achieving their goals, as well as material that the tobacco user can give to friends or family to support them in quitting.
- Unlimited access to support line staff to get additional support or assistance for up to one year after enrollment.
- Free re-enrollment at no cost to support those who relapse or need more support to stay quit.
Tobacco-related research at Kaiser Permanente Research Institute
Kaiser Permanente Research Institute often seeks Kaiser Permanente members and others to serve as study participants. Those who participate help Kaiser Permanente to evaluate innovative ways to diagnose, treat, and prevent disease. It's all part of Kaiser Permanente's mission to improve health care for everybody.
You can learn more about current tobacco-related research studies at the research institute.
Content on this page is from the provider manual | Disclaimer